National League of American Pen Women

The Muncie, IN Branch is a part of the National League of American Pen Women

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Interview with Jan Lewis

I recently had the opportunity to visit a local meeting of Sigma Delta Pi, a teacher's sorority, where I heard our very own Jan Lewis speak about her quilted purses. Jan did a wonderful job and showed off a few of her beautiful pieces of work. I decided to interview Jan for our blog! So here you go .....

Welcome to Jan Lewis!




Please tell me some background information about you.
I grew up with five sisters on a farm in Jay County.  I graduated with a B.S and M. A. from Ball State University. 

Please tell me some background information about your artistic endeavors.
I taught Family and Consumer Science for several years and took up quilting after retirement. 

How did you get started making purses?
.  I have constructed quilts for all four of my children, as well as all six grandchildren.  Many friends and family have received my quilted purses. 

How do you go about designing a purse?
.  The inspiration often comes from a certain fabric, a picture, a request from a client.  The purse usually begins in my mind, tossed around and analyzed from all angles.  I love this part immensely but also enjoy seeing the idea become reality. 

Are the purses washasble?
My creations ultimately become durable, hand washable items of functional art. 

 Do you sell at any sort of craft shows?
Many friends and family have received my quilted purses.  I have sold a few and bartered with purses for services.

How would you describe the creative process of purse-making?
While I sew I listen to IPR radio, music, and often scripture on tape.  I make sketches and notes of ideas that inspire me.  Added to these are pictures from magazines that spur ideas. 


What do you like most about sewing?
My creative instincts are constantly active and often result in great personal satisfaction for me.

Where do you work on your projects?
My sewing room is the smallest bedroom in a small house but I enjoy spending time there. 

Thank you, Jan, for sharing with us about your hand-made purses and your thoughts about the creative process!

I feel honored that you asked me.


No comments:

Post a Comment